Iby’I wacu Cultural Village is a project run by the local people living around Volcanoes National Park case showing Rwanda‘s local cultures. Experience the lifestyles of Indigenous Rwandase with us
Iby’I wacu Cultural Village
Iby’I wacu Cultural Villages derived its name from the term ‘Iby’Iwacu’ which means ‘treasure of our home’ or ‘our heritage’. It is real treasure behind the existence of Rwanda as a nation.
Iby’I wacu Cultural Village is a small village with a true demonstration of Rwanda’s rich local culture committed at showcasing the ways of living, traditional lifestyles and dances to tourists.
Iby’I wacu Cultural Village was started to help in rehabilitating the ex-poachers who realized the impact of the wildlife they were hunting to the lives of their families and future generations.
It was upon this understanding that the local community was mobilized into a cultural village and empowered to start self-supporting projects and tap the tourism resources by exhibiting their rich culture which is highly venerated by some foreigners.
Despite Rwanda’s limited ethnic diversity, the country’s 3 major ethnic groups (Hutus, Tutsis and Batwa) have bonded into almost one rich and comprehensive culture composed of various norms, values and traditions.
Enjoy different types of traditional dances like Intore dance and famous songs of the gorillas sang by the famous Ngayabatema while listening to the melody produced by traditional musical instruments including African drums.
Iby’I wacu Cultural Village Tours helps visitors to witness the lifestyle of the people who inhabited the land of a ‘thousand hills’ from the dawn of time. During this visit to you can discover the traditional house of a local king, watch an authentic medicine man prepare herbal mixtures, try your hand at bow and arrow shooting or enjoy cultural dances and drumming performed by people from the local area, Experience traditional lifestyle of a Rwandan including dress code, food growing, processing and preparation, traditional ceremonies and interpersonal relationship with in the community. A visit to this community will leave you in awe of how Africa and Rwanda in particular is sumptuously endowed culture wise.
The guided walk of the village takes around an hour or you can participate in the whole day program spending an overnight at Iby’I wacu Cultural Village
Activities offered by Iby’I wacu Cultural Village;
- Guided community walk to visit different sites and experience the everyday lives of the local people.
- Exploration to Rwanda’s local schools to experience the education life in a developing country–become a student by attending lessons/ a teacher by offering lessons (whatever your interest is, we got the satisfaction)
- Local meal taking lunch or dinner with local people
- Attending a local banana brewery process and have a taste on local banana beer
- Explore the Batwa pottery making experience, lessons and engagement.
- Listen to interesting stories about traditional medicine from a local traditional healer and get to know how medicinal trees, shrubs, grass are used to cure local patients.
After completion of Gorilla trekking exercise or Golden Monkey tracking, spend your evening at Iby’I wacu Cultural Village relaxing your mind.
Sign up Iby’Iwacu Cultural Village Tour with us at very low rates.